Support Online: Mon - Fri / 08:00am - 05:00pm (GMT +7)
Your Time: Our Time:

question-circle Have News Ticker Show All Headlines in Category Regardless of ACL and Login Stat

More
3 years 2 weeks ago #40220 by Justin Kerr
Hello!

We're looking to implement your News Ticker module as an element on our website to show users our latest content.

In addition to showing Joomla Article Titles from Joomla Articles and Categories that have their Access level set to "Public," we'd also like to show Titles for Articles that the user would not normally see unless logged in.

When not logged in, I do properly see in the News Ticker Module all the article Titles I'd normally see by being a member of the Public group.

Also, when I am logged in, I properly see in your Module all the articles Titles I should see according to my ACL group (including both Public and members-only Titles appearing in the Module).

I'd like to get all Titles (and their links) to appear in the Module, even if they're not normally viewable by that user.

Our use case is a subscription paywall powered by the CB Subscriptions product from Joomlapolis.com: When a user tries to go to a protected Joomla Article, CB Subscriptions automatically proposes Subscription plans. We'd like to show our users what's available, and then present the subscription signup if they don't yet have access.

Can the Module be adjusted in some way so it shows all Titles/URL from selected Categories, no matter the ACL of the end user?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 1 week ago #40231 by HaiND
Hi
Thank you for feedback us
you want to display the headers that users must be logged in to see ?

Best Regards
--HaiND--

More
3 years 1 week ago #40235 by Justin Kerr
Yes, that is exactly it.

We would like to display the headers (Joomla Article Titles) in the Module, including those that a user must be logged in to see.

For example, we'd like to show Articles in the Module that have their Joomla ACL set to "Registered," even if the user is not logged in.

For us, we are using this to advertise our Subscription-only content: Even though users can't view the content of the displayed Title/link if they click on it, we want them to see that this content is available, so they are encouraged to subscribe.

Thank you for your prompt support and attention to this matter. Please let me know if you have any more questions for me. Cheers!

More
3 years 1 week ago #40239 by HaiND
Hi
I'm sorry but this is quite complicated so it takes a long time to customize
I am afraid that it will be difficult to customize for you
Hope you understand and look forward to receiving sympathy
Thanks

Best Regards
--HaiND--

More
3 years 1 week ago #40243 by Justin Kerr
Hello!

Thank you for investigating and considering this support request. I completely understand that it's not part of the core functionality, and that this would be difficult to enable. I do appreciate the support connection, however. Thanks again!

More
3 years 1 week ago #40248 by HaiND
Hi

Hope you will continue to use other JoomlaUX products
Thanks

Best Regards
--HaiND--

More
3 years 1 week ago #40254 by Justin Kerr
Oh, I definitely will! I think your Joomla software is great, and JoomlaUX is one of my "trusted," ongoing software providers. I've found it's effective to stick with the same developers for their "family" of Joomla software, which I do with others in addition to JoomlaUX.

I did poke into the code of the Newsticker Module to look around if a simple change was possible. It looked like the spot to do so is in SITEROOT/modules/mod_jux_news_ticker/helper.php. I see where the Access Filter values are generated around line 281, as well as the if/else statement starting around line 369 where each link is created:
if ($access || in_array($item->access, $authorised))
			{
				// We know that user has the privilege to view the article
				$item->link = JRoute::_(ContentHelperRoute::getArticleRoute($item->slug, $item->catslug));
			}
			else
			{
				$item->link = JRoute::_('index.php?option=com_users&view=login');
			}

To get the effect I desire (show all links in category, no matter the user permissions), would it be a matter of changing the above to:
if ($access || in_array($item->access, $authorised))
			{
				// We know that user has the privilege to view the article
				$item->link = JRoute::_(ContentHelperRoute::getArticleRoute($item->slug, $item->catslug));
			}
			else
			{
			}

Or maybe it would be easier to change the Access Filter settings in the code, which currently are:
		// Access filter
		$access = !JComponentHelper::getParams('com_content')->get('show_noauth');
		$authorised = JAccess::getAuthorisedViewLevels(JFactory::getUser()->get('id'));
		$model->setState('filter.access', $access);

I completely understand that this would be an "ugly hack" from my end, and it's only applicable to my website.

Likewise, I completely understand why you, as developers, would not be able to easily add it to your Module software as a feature.

I'm willing to note my customization of the code and re-apply it as needed if/when you issue software updates for the module.

Any suggestions you can provide for a quick-and-easy custom code fix like this would be much appreciated. I'm not a developer by background, so much of my development is trial and error. I thought I'd write first to see if you'd suggest anything.

Thanks so much!

More
3 years 1 week ago #40258 by HaiND
Hi
You are awesome, I will look into this matter
Thanks

Best Regards
--HaiND--

Moderators: Jackie
Time to create page: 0.416 seconds